As
stated previously in class and on this blog, I must be able to identify you
easily on your blog; please ensure that your name or student number is easily accessible
in your profile. I have many blogs to
read, and I hope you will help me by providing this information on your
blog. It is fine if you would rather
remain mysterious, however I will be unable to score your assignments. Also, it would expedite the process if you
removed the CAPTCHA requirement from blog posts. You can still moderate them yourself, I
simply waste less time trying to decipher the letters.
For
the TOEFL essay, everyone started from a base of 3.5/5, with extra quarter
points awarded for:
- proper
grammar (syntax [.25] diction [.25] spelling [.25] a few errors considered not seriously
problematic)
- choice of
examples
- logic
- organization
For
the personal narrative essays, the uploaded syllabus states: “Second drafts of
in-class essays must be typed and uploaded with grammatical edits and content
improvements. (10%)” Now while I did say
in-class writing on the personal narrative wouldn’t be graded, what is graded are
your blog posts; please note the emphasis on grammar and
reflection. If your essay contains few
grammatical errors, or demonstrates a sustained engagement, you will receive a
higher score. Scores will begin at a base of 3.5/5, with .25 added for grammar,
syntax, diction, use of examples, logic, organization. A lower score is possible if desired by
student. For the first assignment, you
will receive either a pass / not complete grade.
For your convenience, I have elaborated and clarified on some of the in-class lectures below, highlighting the most salient points. I have been writing for many years, and in the modern world I would not eat as well as I do if I could not write effectively. I often write for pleasure, such as blog posts, songs, or short stories. I’ve picked up a few things over the years, and if you’re interested, you can read them below. If you already believe yourself a famously successful writer, or think any advice I may have to share is not useful, stop reading now. Go do whatever it is you have to do. I’m going to focus on your recent TOEFL essays for examples, apologies if you recognize your essay here. I am focusing on general trends in responses. I will include some comments that I have made on individual student blogs, but I will not mention which blog.
This is the first TOEFL prompt from our course syllabus:
Describe a custom from your country that you would like people from other countries to adopt. Explain your choice, using specific reasons and examples.
First:
STAY FOCUSED
Organization is an issue in many of the essays I read. Ranting
about modern post-industrial society is not the focus of your essay, and is
beyond the scope of a mere one page TOEFL prompt response. Discussing the lack
of close neighborly ties now found in modern Korean society does not have a
place in your essay, as this isn’t what you want to export to the world. The prompt asks you to specifically discuss
an aspect of your culture that you think should be adopted by the world. You shouldn’t be talking about the need to
reclaim lost traditions and way of life, but about promoting something from
Korea to the world, something that can be celebrated and shared.
Essentially, answer the prompt directly, nothing more,
nothing less.
Avoid jumping from topic to topic; remain focused on what
is important and back your statement up with a connection (comparison /
contrast) to a concrete example (no general statements, use something factual,
like a primary text. A primary text is a verified document with a certain
(authentic) author). If a text is provided, it should remain the main focus of your writing at all times, with other examples solely used to support your analysis of the text provided.
![]() |
| something very wrong here |
Second: CHOOSE APPROPRIATE EXAMPLES
I
read many essays that promoted near-universal human behaviors, such as sharing a
meal or respecting elders. These are not
really appropriate examples, unless you are in some way arguing that the Korean
expression is truly unique and of benefit to the world. These are always a hard sell though, since it
requires a genuine understanding of not only general human behavior, but of the
specific cultural groups that are being asked to adopt the practice. See a comment below about mudang as an
example of the perspective I’m coming from.
The core idea in that paragraph is how many countries no longer have
authentic practicing shamans, and thus Korea can serve as an example of a
continuing, long term tradition. Just
don’t forget that shamans have pretty much existed in every society since
prehistory. The other examples are also
related to selection of examples, and general perspective.
Comments:
Mudang is the Korean
word for shaman, a religious specialist common to mystical, folk, and tribal
religious expressions (to mention a few). It is true that these types of
specialists no longer play such a large role in post industrial societies, a
statement consistent with the prevailing view of most Koreans when thinking
about mudang, jumjaengi (점쟁),
or the like. However, the fact that the term 'exorcism' exists in English
should be enough to inform you that similar practices exist? Shouldn't this
knowledge be apparent as a foundation to your argument in some way?
This isn't really a TOEFL essay, as it's primary purpose is exposition, which I do appreciate; however, beyond the scope of your current task. You could still talk about this practice, condensing your first three paragraphs into one while emphasizing it as an example of a practice largely lost or redefined elsewhere (psychologist for example) and how since the tradition still exists in Korea, it can help as an example of the value of such rituals for modern society. Of course, mentioning that official exorcisms are still occasionally performed, and including this perspective into your overall argument, would also make for an excellent essay.
Do you know what a Ouija board is? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouija
This isn't really a TOEFL essay, as it's primary purpose is exposition, which I do appreciate; however, beyond the scope of your current task. You could still talk about this practice, condensing your first three paragraphs into one while emphasizing it as an example of a practice largely lost or redefined elsewhere (psychologist for example) and how since the tradition still exists in Korea, it can help as an example of the value of such rituals for modern society. Of course, mentioning that official exorcisms are still occasionally performed, and including this perspective into your overall argument, would also make for an excellent essay.
Do you know what a Ouija board is? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouija
what you mention in your
conclusion should be the main focus in your intro, but it isn't really brought
out. You also describe the custom in such flowery terms that I almost believe
you that it is still widely practiced by whole communities of people. . . I
guess the places I've lived in Korea aren't very community minded, perhaps too
infected with 'individualistic' thinking, tainted through their participation
in modern post-industrial society. . . we should all move back to the country.
Yeah.
Your assumption is that people in other countries have never had these thoughts about community, which is of course far off the mark. Talking about adopting ancestral worship as a means to overcome the fragmentation and isolation of industrial and post industrial societies would be a far more persuasive approach, as it has been dealt with in the west since at least the Enlightenment (see romanticism, realism, dadism, other anti establishment artistic movements, etc)
![]() |
| pay attention! |
Third
–THE READER
Stating the obvious, keep
in mind that what you are writing is going to be read, and the reactions the
reader has will depend on what exactly you present to them. Consider the
audience, put yourself in their shoes.
How would they react to what you are saying? What type of reaction are you hoping to
elicit? Basic grammar can fit in here,
since if your essay contains too many errors you will annoy the reader, unless
of course you are ignoring the conventions of formal grammar for some type of rhetorical
purpose. (Irvine Welsh, Zora Neal
Hurston, William S. Burroughs, all write outside formal grammatical conventions,
each with different purposes in mind).
Eliminating unnecessary
words (concision) in your writing is something you should aim for. Try keeping your sentences short and
declarative, each one necessary and contributing to the piece as a whole. While using many ten or twenty dollar words can make you sound erudite, misusing those same words will make you sound pretentious and shallow. Focus primarily on clarity and achieving effective communication.
Remember that writing is just as much a state of mind as it is a technical
exercise; it gives you great opportunity to find and establish your own unique
voice. Writing is a craft: part art and
skill, part application and trade. Many
do not appreciate the fact that with the use of a collection of characters,
glyphs, stabs and slashes, we can convey worlds. This power should not be underestimated nor
neglected.






Also, your introduction is too vague and could use further refinement.