Tuesday, March 19, 2013

I just don't

What is wrong with this picture?  (Click for larger image)


UPDATE: I suggested that if you did not know what to write on your blog that you consider the photo above, placing it within broader conversations related to the horrors perpetuated in the name of Nazism; you may also want to consider the use of Nazi chic, something that has appeared in Korea as well (many more links available upon request).


A student asked for some context to the image, and seemed rather 'surprised' that I could not immediately answer their question as to what building is in the background.  I understand having some information about where a photo was taken can indeed add more dimension to analysis, and as the student has probably been too busy preparing their speech to search for this information, I decided to help out.

After conducting an image search through Google, I've been able to determine that this may be part of an advertising campaign from a Russian clothing manufacturer.  We could assume the building may be somewhere in Russia, although I will apologize that I cannot tell for certain.  I would ask if any student can determine without doubt what building is in the background, along with the exact details of the model (name, age, family background, etc.), that they share this information with the class.  These small details could indeed help us all in our writing.  Also, don't forget to address the content of the photo itself, focusing on the impact of the image and how it is related to history and the present.

2 comments: